Perimeter 81 offers a native Linux application, however, if you prefer, Perimeter 81 can be easily configured manually.
Install the OpenVPN Manager
1. Start a Terminal session.
2. Install the OpenVPN Manager by entering the following command:
sudo apt-get install -y network-manager-openvpn-gnome
3. Once the installation is complete, restart the Network Manager by entering the following command:
sudo service network-manager restart
4. Download Perimeter 81 Certificate Authority (CA) certificate, by executing the commands:
sudo mkdir /etc/openvpn
sudo wget -O /etc/openvpn/perimeter81.com.ca.crt https://www.perimeter81.com/files/openvpnconfigs/perimeter81.com.ca.crt
Create a Connection
1. Expand the System menu, select Network Connections, then VPN Connections, and then Configure VPN...
2. Select the VPN tab.
3. Select Add.
4. For the Connection Type select OpenVPN.
5. Select Create.
Configure the Connection
1. Specify the Connection name as "Location Name" (or another indicative name).
2. Insert the desired Perimeter 81 gateway IP in the Gateway field.
NOTE: Your Perimeter 81 admin can retrieve the gateway's IP within the Network tab at the Perimeter 81 Management Portal.
3. Choose Password as the Type.
4. Enter your Manual VPN Keys as your Username and Password in the matching fields.
Those can also be created by your admin at the Management Portal.
Access Key ID will be used as the Username and the Secret Access Key as well as the Password.
5. For the CA Certificate browse and select /etc/openvpn/perimeter81.com.ca.crt
Under Advanced select Security and then Cipher select AES-256-CBC*
6. Select OK and then Apply.
7. Open the OpenVPN advanced option and make sure the LZO Compression is disabled. (NOTE: You have to check the LZO box and then choose NO).
8. Close the Network Manager applet.
9. Make sure to restart the Network Manager (this can be done in a terminal by using "sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart").
Connecting to Perimeter 81
1. Select the Network Manager icon on the top right hand of your screen.
2. Point to VPN Connections, and then select the VPN configuration that you've just created, to start the connection process.
During the connection establishment process, the network icon will blink for about 3-10 seconds. Once you are connected to Perimeter 81, you will notice a lock badge on the network icon.