Currently there is no Native Linux (Ubuntu) app, however, Perimeter 81 can be configured manually. For instructions on manual configuration please follow the instructions below:
1. Install the OpenVPN Manager
a. Start a Terminal session
b. Install the OpenVPN Manager by entering the following command:
sudo apt-get install -y network-manager-openvpn-gnome
- Once the installation is complete, restart the Network Manager by entering the following command:
sudo service network-manager restart
- Download Perimeter 81 (SaferVPN's) Certificate Authority (CA) certificate, by executing the command:
sudo wget /etc/openvpn/safervpn.com.ca.crt https://www.safervpn.com/files/openvpnconfigs/safervpn.com.ca.crt
2. Create a Connection
- Expand the System menu, click on Network Connections -> VPN Connections -> Configure VPN...
- Click on the VPN tab
- Click on the Add button
- For the Connection Type select OpenVPN
- Click Create
3. Configure the Connection
- Specify the Connection name as "Location Name" (or another indicative name)
- Per your needs, type one of the following Perimeter 81 location hostnames in the Gateway field.
** Your company manager can retrieve the hostname (DNS) within the manager console under the Network Public Locations / Locations tabs.
- Choose Password as the Type
- Enter your Manual VPN Keys as your Username and Password in the matching fields.
** Please note. Only your company manager can issue manual VPN keys through the cloud management console: https://app.perimeter81.com as instructed here: How to create Manual VPN Keys
- For the CA Certificate browse and select /etc/openvpn/safervpn.com.ca.crt
Under Advanced -> Security -> Cipher select AES-256-CBC*
- Click the OK, and then Apply
- Open the OpenVPN advanced option and Make Sure the LZO Compression is disabled. (Note: due to a bug on the Linux OpenVPN, please select and de-select the LZO Compression)
- Close the Network Manager applet
- Make sure to restart the Network Manager (can be done in terminal by using "sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart")
4. Connecting to Perimeter 81 (Previously SaferVPN)
- Click on the Network Manager icon on the top right hand of your screen
- Point to VPN Connections, and then select the VPN configuration that you've just created, to start the connection process
- During the connection establishment process, the network icon will blink for about 3-10 seconds
- Once you are connected to Perimeter 81, you will notice a lock badge on the network icon